So I may just be a grumpy, pessimistic old lady, but I can’t stand Hallmark movies. I know several people who adore them, so I am not sure if it’s me with the unpopular view, or if there are others like me out there. Here is a list of why I don’t like them.
1. The obvious: they all have basically the same exact plot.
2. I have a black, shriveled heart and can’t stand all the cheesy emotional drama.
3. I am not a people person and the movies are all about things that bore me: careers, romance troubles, marriage, shopping.
4. They are not very diverse. The movies I have seen (or hopefully just glimpsed in passing) all have the same bland cookie-cutter Everyman/Everywoman types. There are no plus-size romances, interracial, or LGBTQ characters. They are very vanilla and traditional.
5. They are contemporary romances and I rarely enjoy this genre. If the hero was a vampire and the heroine a witch or something, I would give them a chance.
6. They play with your emotions. I hate feeling like I have been emotionally manipulated and these movies excel at that. Just my view of course, but if my heartstrings are going to be pulled, I want something epic, deep, and groundbreaking, not more of the same old same old.
For real though, if you like them, that’s awesome! I only speak for myself and I’m cranky and bitter and I don’t believe in love/romance like these movies show.
Hey, February is coming, so…
(I got all these images off Google. They are not mine and only used for satirical purposes.)